The spring and summer of 2011 were spent in Connecticut and North Carolina with a detour in Arkansas on the way to California, definitely not a straight path. I saw some old friends and got to meet some new ones while walking in the woods and along the shoreline. We would see White-breasted Nuthatches, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and Downy Woodpeckers all year long in Connecticut. They got to be familiar friends, but I tried not to take them for granted when I was looking for the spring's migrants.
Our typical nomads were Gray Catbirds (and its their fault after all that I got into birdwatching) and Eastern Towhees. Whereas the Towhees would at least pose for the occasional picture, the Indigo Bunting, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Common Yellowthroat would fly away if I even dared to touch my camera. All in all, the woods around East Haddam could spoil a person (we saw or heard more than 20 species around our house).
No comments:
Post a Comment