 |
| Calico Pennant, though a little rough on the edges |
 |
| An Eastern Amberwing |
 |
| I will just say it is a Bluet and leave it at that |
 |
| A Blue Corporal, anyone? |
 |
| A Great Blue Skimmer? |
 |
| Widow Skimmer |
I spent a week with my son's Boy Scout Troop last summer. Since the most comfortable place was down by the lake, that's where I spent a fair bit of my time. With all the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts, birds were fairly scarce, but dragonflies don't really seem to care too much about chaos. There were a fair number of Odonata zipping around. As I mentioned, I think the different dragonflies are harder to distinguish than the different sparrow species. A Blue Corporal and a Great Blue Skimmer look awfully similar to an untrained eye, but after going back over these, I have a little better feel for how to photograph dragonflies.
There are three or four Bluets that look nearly identical. I did the best I could using
www.odonatacentral.org.
The angle could be the only difference between these two, but I think the abdomen sections are different.
At least the Widow Skimmers were easy. I'll skip the obvious pun, because they weren't very little.
No comments:
Post a Comment